I am a graphic designer specializing in web and user interface design, front-end development, and web project management. Since my first semester of design school (Ferris State, class of 2000) I have studied and worked in both sides of visual communication: the digital and the traditional. This included writing HTML code from scratch, working in Lingo Script in the early days of Macromedia Director (a precursor to Flash), prepress work including working “on press” with printers to monitor color and quality, video scripting, production, and editing, and building complex websites in multiple web content management solutions. In the last few years I taught myself WordPress, learning the framework of PHP and SQL databases and writing my own themes.
I enlisted in the Army Reserves at 17 and completed basic training during summer break between my Junior and Senior years in High School. The discipline and work ethic that was instilled in me during that time have stayed with me ever since. I still freak when my hair grows too much over the tops of my ears, but I’ve successfully stopped rolling my underwear and rarely stubbornly call everyone “Ma’am” and “Sir” anymore.
Here are some of the many job titles I’ve held down during and since college:
- Staff Sergeant, Assistant to Food Service Manager: 4201st US Army Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI
- Assistant Sous Chef: Woody’s Restaurant in the Holiday Inn, Big Rapids, MI
- Marketing and Design Manager: AVL Information Systems, Big Rapids, MI
- Senior Web Associate: Crowe Chizek (Now Crowe Horwath), Grand Rapids, MI
- Multimedia Design Chair: AD2 Advertising Club for Young Professionals
- UI/UX Designer: Microsoft and iVillageMarket.com (Contract from Crowe Chizek)
- Shop Foreman and Creative Director: Ignition New Media Workshop, Grand Rapids, MI
- Web and Video Specialist: Stryker Instruments, Kalamazoo, MI
- Multimedia Design Specialist: GFT Global Forex Trading (Contract)
- UI/UX Designer and Web Project Manager: Stanley Steemer (Contract)
- UI/UX Designer: Johnson Controls (Long Term Contract)
- Lead UI/UX Designer: Dematic Corporation, Grand Rapids, MI
- Digital Design Specialist: TerraTrike, Grand Rapids, MI
I’ve worn a lot of hats in my career thus far, both literally and figuratively. I’ve been lucky enough to be involved with a host of great businesses in a wide variety of industries, and have produced amazing work in basically every medium that is out there. I’ve worked with hand-crafted lettering and signs, traditional block print making, prepress and printing on-press and press checks, illustration, large format and installation design, catalogs, web design, UI/UX design and consulting, video and video effects.
In addition to my technical skills, I love public speaking and presenting, and have led meetings, training sessions and presentations for groups large and small. I have worked with teams large and small and am often considered a diplomat in groups, having often provided a go-between for non-technical executives and programmers, designers and developers.